Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Bazaar

The intoxicating smell of exotic spices can be smelt throughout the street. But as you begin to walk further, a sweet, flowery smell hits you. Yes, indeed they are flowers, and in every colour too – pink, white, yellow, orange, red, blue, violet. You move to the next stall, thankful for its sun awning providing shade and shelter from the scalding heat of the sun – a magnificent yellow ball of fire with a backdrop of red and orange behind to complement it. You see that this is a cloths stall, with every type of cloth imaginable. You reach forward and touch the silk, noting its smooth, velvety feel. Lying beside it, on a tattered old wooden table, is a carpet. Beautifully decorated it may be, it is very rough and bumpy. You sneeze as the dust from the carpet settles atop your nose. You wander out, back into the scorching heat. The stall you stop at next displays various knick-knacks. A strange-looking birdcall catches your eye. You pick it up for a closer look, taken aback by its smooth, silky feel. You have never seen anything like it before and find it rather mesmerising. You give it a blow and are amazed at the beautiful sound it produces. You ask the peculiar-looking stallholder how much it costs.
“10 rupees,” he replies in a surprising shrill voice. You pay him and meander around the street some more, pleased with your purchase but with no intention of spending any more money.

This was (well, is) my English homework. We had to write a paragraph about a street in the summer using all senses (sight, sound, smell, touch/feel, taste). Damn, that reminds me - I forgot taste. Nevermind.. It's a rather long paragraph but now that I have found my inspiration again ^^ I couldn't stop writing! It all just came pouring out of the deepest corners of my head. Places I couldn't find before, places that were lost to me and now open, found, waiting to be explored. What to do with my new-found knowledge? Well, it's not really new-found but it does contain skills I forgot I had. I'm blabbering on here. Enough for now, me thinks.

No comments: